The Messengers of Yesh Web Address

Friday, April 1, 2022

Fiber News

It's the start of a new month. I've already changed my calendars. I hope you have, too.

There's good news. In previous blogs I've mentioned the broadband utility boxes for fiber that have gone up around me. I was supposed to get mail about it when it was available but never heard anything. This week I was able to stop by the ISP's main office and ask about it. Despite no mail, it's available! I've filled out the paperwork for a 200Mbps connection. That's the good news. The bad news is I haven't submitted it yet because of the cost of the dental work I've been getting and still need. I think I can afford it, but I need to do a deep dive into my spending to make sure. Installation is $175 plus a monthly fee of $64.95.

As noted before, I've been looking for some kind of side gig to make extra cash. I may have found it. While researching something else, I was recommended a video about doing copywriting on Fiverr. I've looked into copywriting before, but yuck, that's advertising. I still have my soul. Nevertheless, I looked at Fiverr to see what was there.

Forget copywriting. I can do proofreading and perhaps some light editing for what looks like starting around $1 per page. Hmm, I think I'm going to try that. The plan is to put together a Fiverr page this weekend. The only drawback is that I would need MS Word, which costs $124. I've been wanting that anyway for my own writing, so it's something I've been needing for a while. But still, that's a lot to invest in something that may not pay off. I also may need a reference manual. A further complication is that it can take 2 months to start getting work on Fiverr. The system is rigged to reward people who are already successful there, and it's crowded. I'd be up against people with degrees, people with decades of experience and professionals in the field.

My next step, besides setting up a page, is to research current proofreading and editing prices and work out what to charge and exactly what services I'd be providing. My concept is Proofeading Plus. For something close to standard proofreading fees, I'd proofread and do minor editing as a free bonus to pull in customers. We'll see.

Have a great weekend.

No comments:

Post a Comment