The Messengers of Yesh Web Address

Friday, November 29, 2019

Getting Closer

Last week I told about a dead body I found in a truck wreck but didn't have more information because the local newspaper was a day late. To follow up on that, the driver was a man aged seventy According to the one of two local papers, he was known to smoke marijuana and drink alcohol every day. The adolescent bumper stickers all over his tailgate lend credence to that. A pipe with marijuana residue was found at the crash and is thought perhaps to be a factor in the crash. Last week I speculated that the man could have been there all weekend. It turns out the last time anyone talked to him was 11:30 p.m. the night before I found him. The story was too small for me to be interviewed by either paper.

There's a saying that every article in the paper is accurate except that rare one about which you have personal knowledge. The articles in both papers had the basic facts like the time and condition of the crash wrong. Based on my observation of the scene, the man could have survived and died of exposure either overnight or during the day. I noticed that neither article said he died of wounds sustained in the crash the way they usually do, which makes me wonder if he did die of exposure while people were driving or jogging past the wreck. There's no way to know. Maybe it just means no one did an autopsy to find out. There was no obituary, which makes me wonder if he had any close family in the area. It was a sad thing all around.

Book stuff

Let's get away from real life and on to fantasy life. I've thought some about the new series idea I had last week and have written down a few ideas. I'm not sure when I'll get to work on that. I haven't yet had the idea that puts it all together into a really good story form. I have the beginning, middle and end, but there's a lot to fill in about the world in which its set that would make it all work and make good story sense. The idea right now does not lend itself to a series. It may end up being a solo book.

On the other hand, I think I may have had the idea that gets me close to solving the book 2 problem. A while back, as a break, I wrote a little over half of a science fiction style Messengers book set during the time of Calan Sterrit, the man Kayley rescued from the cave in Call to Selah. In past blogs I've referred to that book as the space novel. Another project I've thought about but haven't been able to come up with the plot points for is the Calliope novella. I think I have a way to combine the Calliope novella into book 2 and link the space novel to it via Messenger time travel. Several Messengers from the time period of the first series appear in the space novel, but due partly to spoilers about the B'vellah series, I had to put the space novel on the back burner. It's theoretically possible that I could write the end of the space novel and the new book 2 simultaneously or nearly so and have them come out close together. As a bonus, the cover for the space novel would be dead simple to paint.

What I'm working on now is a way to put the parts of the unwritten Calliope novella that didn't appear in The Rise of Aethan Lightbringer into book 2. Instead of a novella with all the details that would involve, that story would be told from the Messengers' points of view instead of Calliope's. I wouldn't have to show things like her bored in school. Could I do it in such a way that I could still write the novella later? That's something I have to solve. Linking the space novel and book 2 is pretty easy. All I have to do is write one or two scenes from the perspective of the people in each book. It would be the same scene(s) in both books but from different viewpoints.

Before pulling book 2 off Amazon, I had already written almost half of book 3. Part of figuring all of this out is taking that into account. I like book 3. It needs to stay as much the same as possible.

Have a great weekend.

No comments:

Post a Comment