The Messengers of Yesh Web Address

Friday, October 5, 2018

Propaganda in Action

I was a store I don't shop much and decided to pick up some toilet paper, when I saw something absurd.


It was such an outrageous lie I laughed. I couldn't help it. Seeing six equal twenty-four was too much. It was like common core math. I see garbage like this all the time. Paper towels will claim that six rolls equal nine rolls, but no one else has gone to six equals twenty-four. I was laughing while taking a photo of it, hoping people didn't think I was going crazy in the store. I think most advertisers are going to hell.

So, the Braves made the playoffs this year. The usual announcers have been so excited and so enthusiastic. The hype was almost off the rails. Most of it was propaganda. They didn't promise a World Series appearance. There was a little bit of caginess amidst the selling of playoff tickets. It's because there's more than one problem with the team, and nobody is talking about it.

The Braves are in a very weak division. If they had been in any other division, they would not have won the division title. That leads to a second problem. They played a lot of games against very weak opponents and crushed them. That leads to the elephant in the room, and this is half of the real problem in my mind. The Braves have not played well against top-ranked teams. They've been swept more than once. They've been dominated. They have not been able to compete against tough teams.

The other half of the problem is the composition of the team. The bullpen has been a problem all year. The owners did not fix it. Starting pitching hasn't been bad, but it has not been dominating. It has been too inconsistent. The owners picked up a starter. One more guy is not enough. Also, the hitters have been very streaky. They're either on fire or in a bad slump. They don't have enough top-level hitters either. They have a few guys who do well. It's not enough.

As much as I'd like to see the Braves win, I think they have a good chance of being swept by the Dodgers. They lost last night's game 6 to 0. To me it comes down to how they've played against real opponents. They've been crushed all year. That may be why the announcers have been giddy as schoolgirls up to a point but no further. Maybe the team wins one game, two tops. I think they've gone as far as they can go this year. Hopefully, I'm wrong, but I've been following them all year. I see what I see.

So, last week I mentioned I had finally realized the one, main problem with a business a friend of mine has been trying to get off the ground for a decade and a half with no profit. I felt I should tell her but knew she wouldn't want to hear it and didn't think she would listen. What to do? What to do? I finally did the right thing. I told her. She came up with reasons why I couldn't be right. After that she said in so many words she would consider what I'd said. At least I had a tremendous sense of peace after telling her. There are multiple problems that could be fixed that would turn things around. It's easy to ignore the people around you. I think what she needs is a consultant to come in, evaluate the problems and lay it on the line in black and white with figures.


Have a great weekend.

No comments:

Post a Comment