The Messengers of Yesh Web Address

Friday, October 12, 2018

Non-Fiction Progress

The way I do these blogs is usually to work on them the day I post. Today I need to go help someone that probably doesn't really need the help, but you know how it is. I'm a bit pressed for time. I can't post nothing, so it's going to have to be a brief update.

A few weeks back I posted about Hurricane Florence going through. This week it was Hurricane Michael. Flo was nothing but light rain and light wind here. Michael was stronger winds and much more rain. We lost power twice. The first time was for about thirty minutes. The other time was just under fifteen. I think the second one was so they could install something. It was well after the winds had stopped, when the danger was well passed.

This week was some real work on the non-fiction book. I've gotten most of the introduction done. Some of that depends on exactly what goes into the book. I won't know everything I need to put in until the book is done. I'll need to tell people what they can expect to see later. I've also gotten most of a couple of chapters done. Rough draft done, I mean. I'll need to polish later, of course. It's both easier and harder than I thought. Fiction takes a certain logic to makes things happen in the proper order and to reveal information in stages. Non-fiction is taking a different kind of logic. This book is about biblical topics. I'm presenting verses to support what I'm saying. There's a bit of research for that and a logical progression that's not the same as fiction. It's hard to explain it as I'm pressed for time. It's harder in that sense. It's easier in the sense that I can be as conversational as the text requires. There's a certain formality to fiction prose. I can loosen up more with the non-fiction. It's also not as hard to fill pages as I thought. I'm not putting in filler. I don't mean that. Explaining things takes more space than I would have anticipated. For example, there's a verse that's about the Holy Spirit, but you almost never hear an explanation of why. He's not mentioned by name. I had to explain it, and it took multiple paragraphs and verses to lay a foundation of why it has to be him. It fills space.

I'm out of time.

Have a great weekend.

No comments:

Post a Comment