The Messengers of Yesh Web Address

Friday, October 19, 2018

Divergente 2

I was in a rush last week and didn't get to everything. A couple of weeks ago I said I thought the Braves would be swept by the Dodgers or win one game, two at the very most. They won one. It was brutal. They didn't score the first two games. One of the commentators said no team in history has been shut out two games in a row in the post-season. That's not the kind of history I want to see made. Knowing ahead of time that failure was inevitable, I couldn't get into the games this year.

It was a slow week on the writing front. I got some done but not what I had expected. It seemed like everything lined up to get in the way. I did a ton of cleaning, and I'm still not finished. I had to replace my bed frame, which took forever. It was a tiring week.

Back in June, I ordered Divergente 2. It arrived toward the end of August. I ordered it from Germany, which was the cheapest price. I saw 17 for the delivery date and assumed it was July. Boy, was I wrong. I finished it the other day and moved on to book 3. I had this idea that if I read a million words I'd be relatively fluent in written French. I passed a million a while back, and I constantly have to look words up. I'm getting better, but it sure does seem slow. I'm thinking now that 10 million words is my new goal. I'm still listening to shows on YouTube. Sometimes I can follow along. Sometimes I get quite lost.

I must be making progress, because I've had some weird things happen to my English. French has a lot of reflexive verbs. This past week I was saying something and the construction of my sentence made the verb reflexive. I didn't notice until after I'd said it. It wasn't something conscious. The other day I used a conditional form of an English verb without thinking about it. After I said it, I realized what I'd done. Those were strange occurrences. They reminded me of a video by a French woman I used to listen to. I need to check her videos again. She was making French teaching videos and practicing English, too. She said in a video that English was doing weird things to her French, but she didn't explain it. I see now.

Have a great weekend.

No comments:

Post a Comment