The Messengers of Yesh Web Address

Friday, September 29, 2017

Old House Finishes

I follow Circa on Facebook. They post links to old houses like this one. Isn't that dramatic curb appeal? Beside the house information is a menu that lets you look at old houses that are or have been for sale. Some are nice. Some are in bad shape. I've perused some of the ones in my and neighboring states to see what's out there.

Circa stuff shows up in my feed a lot, but I generally focus on Victorians and ignore the rest unless something reminds me of the houses I used to see when I was a kid. Times were simpler back then. I also watch some of the house hunting shows on television. I've noticed a very disturbing trend: people painting wood white. In the old days people stained wood. Painting it is a little like blasphemy. If the wood is on the outside where it rains, it's okay to paint it. If it's interior trim, it's most likely blasphemous to do anything but stain it.

If you have to shop for a replacement for a piece trim or a window, something consistent appears. Look at the sample pictures for these windows and doors, building supplies and moulding buying guide. Nearly all of the samples are white. When you go to the store, it's the same way.

In a previous post I mentioned that after looking at a lot of Victorians modern houses feel sterile. Here's another observation. White is not a color. It's a neutral default manufacturers use as a primer so they won't have to carry so much inventory by having multiple colors. People are supposed to paint the primer an actual, real color. It's not supposed to stay that dead white.

A lot of times I'll look at a Circa house or see one on television that has all the door frames and trim work painted white. A house built in the 1800s will have all that beautiful woodwork painted. People made that by hand and carved it by hand and took pride in their work. Painting it steals the house's soul! I'll see white cabinets. I'll hear people casually say they can paint wooden cabinets. No. It's probably blasphemy.

People, show some taste and refinement. White is a default. It's not a color. If wood is painted, the grain can't show. Its soul has been stolen. Would elves paint the wood in their houses? Of course not. They would enjoy the natural beauty of the wood. You should, too. Staining is permitted. It lets the grain show through and can even enhance it. Painting is an act of blasphemy.

In all of Middle Earth Bilbo and Frodo never saw a single piece of painted trim in any elven dwelling. It's a lesson for all of us.

Have a good weekend.

No comments:

Post a Comment