The Messengers of Yesh Web Address

Friday, September 15, 2017

Tropical Storm Irma

Hurricane Irma. My area wasn't in the direct path of what by then was Tropical Storm Irma, but that didn't seem to matter. Sustained high winds still knocked down trees and damaged buildings and knocked the power out. Not everyone has power yet. Across one of the roads was a power line people had to drive over until yesterday. I think it was a power line. It could have been an internet or phone line. A traffic light outside of Cleveland, GA was still out then, too. It's taking a while to clean up and get things repaired, even traffic lights. The state has to inspect bridges to make sure they're safe before some of the power lines can be fixed. Is that a dumb rule when society has no electricity? Something to ponder.

I lost all the food in the freezer and refrigerator. It was peanut butter for breakfast. The way I do food is to cook meals ahead of time and divide it into portions and freeze it. Also, I'll cook something like chicken and freeze it and then use it to make something later. It's a lot faster and easier to warm something up than to make each meal. So, I lost a month's worth of eggs, the rest of the month's lunches and maybe a week of dinners plus things like mayonnaise and mustard. Before the storm, the bread aisle at Walmart looked like this:


The cheese section was hard hit, too. After the storm, when the power was back on, I expected the worst. I figured there would be people like me out buying new food to replace the lost. It turned out to be a normal day at the store. Despite having to go to two grocery stores, I was able to find everything on my list.

On the whole I found Irma to be much more stressful than anticipated. Blowing debris striking the side of the house in the dark while waiting to see if a tree will hit the house is no fun. I heard two trees fall in the woods and something big crack. Leaves are everywhere.

On a different note I've been looking at Lyft. I was thinking maybe it would be something to do to get by on for moving somewhere else. From what I've seen so far, after expenses it pays about minimum wage or a little better. It depends on location, and it's extremely unstable. It seems to be good as part-time work or during the holidays. That's a shame. If it paid a decent wage, I was kind of thinking about moving to Savannah or back near where I grew up. Apparently, to make it work requires 50 or 60(or 100 depending on location) hours a week at odd, non-consecutive hours of the day and night. I might still try it and see how it is. I'm going to have to do more research finding driver reviews. What I've seen so far is not encouraging.

Have a good weekend.

No comments:

Post a Comment