The Messengers of Yesh Web Address

Friday, September 23, 2016

Taxes and the Failed Video

I got some more done on Book 2 but little or nothing on Book 3. Slowly but surely, I'm getting there.

I almost had a surprise video. It was really close. I tinkered a few minutes with my studio setup this week and was ready to make a quick video last night. It turned out not to be quick at all. Between the retakes and an interruption, I think it ended up taking over an hour. I was sitting in the chair, as pictured previously, talking about the studio and explaining my general plans for future videos. The highlight was when my cat got in my lap. Unfortunately, I had a battery problem. I have this lavalier mic that takes one LR44 battery. I have two packs of them I ordered off Amazon for dirt cheap. It turns out they're all just about dead. I got sound, but it was very low and had a lot of white noise in it. The mic was $23 and change when I bought it. There's no battery indicator light on it. I either need to buy batteries at the store for much higher than Amazon, or I need to consider a new mic. I have a simple, wired one, but it's not as good as the battery one. I also need a camera tripod. I knocked the camera over at least twice.

Anyway, part of what I talked about on the video was related to my dad's death. Two or three weeks ago the company that makes his insulin pump tried to contact him to upgrade it. His was out of warranty. I eventually talked to them and let them know people in heaven don't need medical devices. Not in those words, of course. :) This week I had to go with my mom to the tag office. [For non-U.S. readers, this is a local government tax office for motor vehicles. They make us buy a license plate and then tax us every year for a small decal to place on it, or we can't legally drive the vehicle.] When we got there, they wouldn't let her buy the decals she needed because the titles were in my dad's name. They couldn't transfer ownership to her without the title[A legal document proving ownership, mileage, sales history, etc.]. We had to go to the bank and get the titles. This was all at the end of the day. By then, the tag office was closed. We had to go back a different day at the end of that day for her to sign a bunch of papers and pay taxes. The next morning she got a call that they had missed one paper she needed to sign.

I should mention we went to that office in 2013 to switch the ownership, but somehow it's not in their computer. Just somehow. So, that's three days to do one thing that should have already been processed[This is why Americans have so many guns. ;) Just kidding. It only adds to the other reasons. ;)]. It was like that after he passed away. It took months. Three years later little things like the medical company and the car tags still occasionally coming up. When someone passes away, there's a lot the family needs to do. Therefore, I've decided that we're not going to die. Dying isn't fair to our families. It's not fair to us. We need to live indefinitely. From now on, let's do that. So far so good for me. If you're reading this, then so far so good for you.

I might try another video later this weekend. One thing I could tell about the video was that even after all the practice I've done the past few months, I need to work on it more in front of the camera. I wasn't as compelling as I feel I am in practice. I didn't stutter and say um or things like that. A certain polish was there. I just didn't have the stage presence needed for a good video. The best part was with the cat. It loosened me up and relaxed me some. At the very least, I learned a lot.
I've made YouTube videos before, but I was never on camera. That's how I have a camera and lavalier mics by the way. In those it was me filming something while narrating. It's not the same.

Have a good weekend.

No comments:

Post a Comment