The Messengers of Yesh Web Address

Friday, December 22, 2017

UNC vs Wofford

I saw something new this week: the Bob Ross Chia Pet. When I was trying to learn to paint, I watched tons of Bob Ross on television. Every once in a while, I'll see a Bob Ross reference in popular culture. I had no idea he was such a widespread phenomenon that he has his own Chia Pet. I'm also kind of amazed that Chia pets unlike Bob are still around. He passed away in 1995. :( His shows still run on PBS.

So, when it comes to sports, I generally watch my few favorite teams but don't follow other teams or a sport as a whole. Sometimes, I'll leave an ACC game on in the background or a National League game. I don't watch American League games, because that's not authentic, American baseball. Nothing with a designated hitter is. This week I was going to watch a Perry Mason from 1961 I taped. The book after AoE is supposed to be a mystery. I've been taping Peter Gunn and Perry Mason to get the old flavor and to see what older shows were like. I was shocked when Peter Gunn used his car phone in a 1959 episode. I thought those were invented in the 70s. Whoa.

One night I fixed something to eat and was going to watch Perry Mason. A UNC(University of North Carolina) game was on. They're not my team, but they're in the ACC. My team has to play them at some point. UNC was playing Wofford, who had barely beaten Georgia Tech a few games back. Since two of Tech's best players were out and another was playing injured, it was not a quality win by any stretch. Wofford scored right before the buzzer. If Tech had had all their players, they would have won easily.

Going into the game against Wofford, UNC was ranked #5 in the country and is last year's national champion. Wofford was unranked and had never defeated a top 25 team. Based on the Tech game, I figured I'd watch three minutes of UNC stomping Wofford and then watch Perry Mason while I ate. Unfortunately, UNC had some early turnovers. After three minutes Wofford was actually ahead. I had to keep watching. Wofford kept the lead for over 6 minutes before UNC finally got on track. Wofford came back but fell behind due to poor shooting. UNC took a good lead, and I was getting ready to switch to Perry Mason. Then Wofford went on a run and was ahead at the half. How could that happen against the 5th best team in the country? They barely beat an injured, suffering Tech team. On the whole the first half was a bit of a nail biter.

It turned out to be an amazing game. I was on the edge of my seat. It's one of those classic underdog victories against a giant. Wofford ended up winning 79-75. Wowie Kablowie! You can see an article here. It doesn't really show how awesome the game was. Beating Tech seemed like a bit of a fluke, but maybe Wofford is for real. They played hard the entire game and completely deserved what ended up being a spectacular win. Hats off to them. If they keep it up, they'll be in the tournament in March.

Is He Still Alive?
This week's Is He Still Alive features Lindsay Wagner. I remember her mostly from The Bionic Woman and The Six Million Dollar Man. Looking at her IMDB entry, she was in tons of things I didn't know about, but is she still alive? Born in 1949, she would be 68. Statistics are on her side, but you never know what can happen on an individual basis. Nevertheless, according to Wikipedia, Lindsay Wagner is still alive! IMDB tells me she's also still working and has something coming out next year.

No comments:

Post a Comment