The Messengers of Yesh Web Address

Friday, October 20, 2017

Examining Excuses

The Cubs barely squeaked by the Nationals before going on to face the Dodgers, who have the best record in the majors this year, in the National League Championship series. I followed the Cubs this year but not as closely as last. It was too painful. They lost or traded some key players. David Ross retired. There was nothing that could be done about that, but I didn't like it when they traded Dexter Fowler away. Money decision? I don't know.

Before the championship series began, my first impression was the Cubs would be swept. Then I thought, no, they might win one game. Then I thought about the games against the Nationals and thought they would be swept. Then I thought, no, surely they'll win at least one. I finally decided they would either be swept or win one game. No other outcome. That was my final forecast. They lost three, won one and then lost the last one. Sad, but it's good to be right. At least I had that.

I got to that decision point by watching them during the year. The Cubs really struggled the first half. The excuse that kept being given was "World Series hangover". I didn't think so. The biggest problem I saw was the bullpen kept blowing the game, which is how they lost in the post-season. And the starting pitching wasn't as good as last year. But let's get back to the World Series hangover excuse. Think about that in other terms. "We're failing because of our success." "We're failing because we're the best." "Our success is the main reason for our failure."

When you hear people like politicians giving "reasons" for things along with elaborate explanations, it might be helpful to put what they're saying in other terms. The Cubs didn't lose because of their success last year. The lost because they didn't have the same caliber of players and not everyone on the team played as well as last year. It's okay to be honest. People can usually handle it.

Other Stuff
I've been waiting on some late feedback for AoE. I've considered asking for it, but it's hard to pressure someone for what at the end of the day is a favor. This week I continued forward with final corrections using the feedback I do have. I'm still considering what kind of cover to do that my painting skills would be adequate for.

I mentioned a surprise I wanted to do for someone I know who's having a hard time. It got delayed when the tropical storm passed through. I think I'm going to schedule that for December, assuming I can really pull it off.

I'm still weighing options on starting a business. It would be a major step. My tolerance for risk is very low, so I'm being very cautious.

Have a great weekend.

No comments:

Post a Comment