The Messengers of Yesh Web Address

Friday, March 24, 2017

Fiber Internet Over There

I've talked about my ISP and my internet woes. A quick recap:
My ISP received $175 million dollars from the federal government to upgrade internet speeds for customers. They did a little and pocketed the rest. I still have 1.5Mbps download. That speed is no longer even offered it's so slow. The slowest I saw on their site the other day was 6Mbps.

My electric company received about $33 million to install a fiber network. Everyone within a mile of the trunk was supposed to be hooked up. I'm less than a mile from it. They took my information. I created a login, etc. I was going to get 15Mbps for $34.95/month. They didn't hook me up. One day I got an email saying it would cost a fortune. I'll quote it here.

"...(the current cost of fiber is approximately $15,000 per mile for overhead lines and $32,000 per mile for underground lines), The average minimum cost of installation is $2,500."

Given my distance to the fiber line, it would cost me about $14,000 to $15,000 to be hooked up with an overhead line, including the $2,500 installation fee. Make sure you're sitting down and holding onto your hat for this next part. There was a story on the front page of the local paper this week about my electric company and the fiber line. They're still not hooking people within a mile of the trunk up like they promised, but they are hooking about 1,000 residents up. They'll get a choice of either 100Mbps for $49.95/month or 1Gbps for 79.95/month. Those are both upload and download speeds. Don't let your hat go yet. Installation is $100. Cost to run the line is FREE. What would cost me about $15,000, they're getting for $100. Did I mention they get the first month of data free, too? They get the first month of data free, too.

This is why people swear.

In other news, I got one of the YouTube channels off the ground. Straight Up Bible Study. It's just one video so far. The plan is to add a video every week or two and see what happens. I still cannot get the green screen effect to work, because of reflected light. It's so close. I think I need to be farther from the screen, but the space is so small I don't know if I can get it to work. My backup plan is to buy some cardboard boxes and paint a background that I could also use for the other channel. Another option would be to buy a backdrop like photographers use. Yet another option is to try to move everything in the room around to make space. Because of the windows, I'm not sure that's doable. It's looking like it'll get down to how much time and money I want to spend. I already need more wardrobe I can't afford. Or could I set it all up in another room? I'll have to figure it out soon. The plan is to sit in a chair not stand up.

No comments:

Post a Comment