The Messengers of Yesh Web Address

Tuesday, September 1, 2015

PC Update 4: The Final Chapter

In the last computer update, I forgot to mention that the emergency computer didn't want to start over the weekend. At one point I had to restart it several times to get it to load Windows.

The last part, the heatsink/fan combo, arrived today. I had a little anxiety with the new motherboard. It didn't have a connector for an EIDE HD, just SATA. I couldn't remember if the one I'd bought for the sick computer was IDE or SATA. Fortunately, it was SATA.

I got the HD and DVD burner transferred from the sick computer to the new case and all the cables hooked up. After all the failures, I took a break and prayed for it. I came back and hit the button. The lights came on. The fans started up. They're exceptionally quiet, especially compared to the jet engine sound of the emergency one. I breathed a sigh of relief. Then the fans stopped. It was so much like when the sick computer tried to start up but never went to POST.

Shocked. Flabbergasted. Bumfuzzled. I tried to get my brain to figure out what in the world could possibly still be wrong. It didn't make sense. Then the fans restarted, and it booted up. I looked at the BIOS and then let Windows 10 start. Remember in the last post I mentioned that a foreseeable problem would be Windows freaking out about the new motherboard? It didn't happen. Windows became cautious but was able to deal with it.

Updating Windows took about 2 hours. Running through 2.5 weeks worth of email took a long time, too. I still have some I haven't opened. I had to update and balance my checkbook. I'm pretty much caught up.

I'd planned to uninstall Windows 10. However, since it didn't fry the new motherboard and seems to be behaving except for one bug, I've decided to allow it to live. For now.

Yay! The computer's working again!

No comments:

Post a Comment