The Messengers of Yesh Web Address

Friday, July 23, 2021

Editing and Polishing

After finishing the last of the read through, this week was devoted to editing and polishing the rough draft to bring it up to manuscript level. It was the first major pass of fixes and polishes. No big fixes were involved. I had to delete miscellaneous sentences, mostly for redundancy. Two minor characters in different parts of the book had the same name. The contradiction I mentioned last week about the video game that characters in the book played was easier to fix than I thought. A character was in a dark location. Not long afterward it was mentioned she could see in the dark. Since I didn't spend paragraphs describing how dark it was, I was able to delete or alter two or three sentences that referred to casting a light spell and her fumbling to find something. Now the character is operating freely in low-light conditions then soon after it's revealed it's because of her elvish grandmother, and it all makes sense. I tweaked the space ship chase scene mentioned last week, but I still need to take another look at it.

Once I'm finished with this step, I'll probably do another read through to make sure I haven't missed anything. After that I may let it rest at least 30 days and then look at it with fresh eyes for more fixes.

Have a great weekend.

No comments:

Post a Comment