The Messengers of Yesh Web Address

Friday, June 19, 2020

Web Hosting

After researching web hosting options, I purchased hosting this week. I created a small, template site for one of my YouTube channels. The web site builder the host provides, BoldGrid, was harder and clumsier to use than advertised. It kept not saving my settings and not allowing me to easily edit text. Maybe it was the template I chose, one I find I don't like now that I've used it. I'm going to try another one later. BoldGrid also lacked flexibility in editing pages. For example, the title of the web site is left justified. There's no option for centering it. To change it, I'd have to open up the text file and add  <center> tags by hand. Changing templates will fix it, but will my site migrate to a new template or will I have to start over? I'll have to try it to see. Fortunately, the site is as close to bare as it can be while still allowing for testing of look and feel. Even if a new template wipes my changes, I can easily redo them.

I considered staying with my current host, Inmotion Hosting. The reason I'm leaving to begin with is cost. They've raised prices too often. In order to stay with them and launch the web sites I want, I would have to purchase an upgrade for about $68 that would cover the rest of the current hosting year. That would give me the ability to have six web sites maximum. When my plan renews later in the year, it would cost an additional $177.84 for next year. That's about $245.84 I'd have to pay this year and at least $177.84 next. My new host, Dreamhost, charges $181 for three years of hosting with no price raise at renewal. One year is a third of that, although the price would go up after the first year. Plus, I can launch unlimited sites. Their hosting fees don't include domain registrations after the first year(they give one free one),but registrations costs extra on either hosting platform. It's $15.99/year at both sites and an extra $12.99/year at Inmotion for domain privacy that Dreamhost gives for free.

So instead of renewing hosting for one year for $177.84 at Inmotion, I paid the extra $3+ to buy three years at Dreamhost. I'll have to pay domain registration next year and the year after, but it's still cheaper than upgrading for $68 and then paying $177.84.

I tested names for a site to replace the Messengers site, but most of the short, simple choices are already taken. I found one that's not bad, but I haven't purchased it yet. I'm still pondering alternatives. Domain registration would cost $6.99 the first year and the standard $15.99 after that. A security certificate would be a little extra. I used my free one for the YouTube channel web site since it will have a donation option. Once I get the new Messenger replacement site set up, I'll link it here and on the Messengers site.


Being too hard on teenagers can cause problems for them later in life.

While Congress is paralyzed by indecision, Russia is testing our defenses.


These next two are a little older but still interesting.

Goldman Sachs shorts the dollar. Since jobs are rebounding sooner than expected, they may have eaten it on this one.

Up to 54 million Americans could go hungry. I'm already stocking up on certain things.

Have a great weekend.

No comments:

Post a Comment