The Messengers of Yesh Web Address

Friday, July 12, 2019

There was a Setting for That

There was an article this week about an Android phone malware. It's mostly limited to Asia, but it's in the U.S., too. It affects phones with versions of Android older than 7. I have version 6 on mine, and there's no patch for that. The easiest fix is to turn off allowing apps from unknown sources to install. It took forever to find that setting, and once I did, it was already turned off. It was a hassle.

However, there was a silver lining. One of the most annoying things about cell phones is the swipe screen. I really hate pressing the on button and then having to swipe the screen to actually turn it on. It seems so insane to have to do that twice. While I was trying to find the unknown sources setting, I ran across a setting to turn off the swipe screen. Yay! I upgraded my phone not long ago from an older one and didn't even know that was a setting. Life just got easier. When reading French, I almost always use my phone to look up words my paperback dictionary doesn't have, which is a lot when reading novels. Having to hit the button and then swipe the screen was a major pain, especially one-handed.

It's been muggy and hot this week but not excessively hot. I haven't been on the computer much. I spent some time thinking and watching a few shows I've never watched. One of them was an FBI show in which the agents constantly used the phrase "the unsub" to the point of parody. That's what they called perpetrators. If Mulder and Scully didn't do it, I'm not sure it should be allowed. Anyway, it was super annoying to hear that every other sentence. I finally looked it up. The perpetrators weren't unsubscribing from email lists as one would suspect. Unsub is a contraction of unknown subject.

I watched several old episodes of that show. About 30 to 40 minutes into an episode, the unknown subject's identity would become known. The agents would know his name, address, history, etc. They would keep calling him the unsub, the unknown subject. If he's known, why call him unknown? Basically, the writers for those episodes didn't know what unsub means. Color me unsubscribed from ever watching that show again. It's okay to write about things you don't know about as long as you do the research and don't try to take it too far. Not looking up the meaning of a word is a basic fail. The show genuinely felt like a parody and not a real show.

The reason I haven't been on the computer much is because I'm  having a problem with my air conditioner. Hopefully, I'll get that straightened out soon.

Have a great weekend.

No comments:

Post a Comment