The Messengers of Yesh Web Address

Friday, May 18, 2018

Boss Week

In case anyone was wondering, Putin is still a boss. The link is a news article with video of him driving a big truck into conquered territory. That could be offensive to some. When it comes to Putin, I don't pass judgement on the morality of his actions. I just show him doing things like a boss.

Speaking of bosses, Trump moved the U.S. embassy from Tel Aviv to Jerusalem. Certain people didn't like that. U.S. presidents always promise to move the embassy in an attempt to gain votes, but only Trump actually kept his promise. Because he's a boss.

Ben Bender at ninety-three years old hit a hole-in-one at golf. Because that's what bosses do.


I was able to drop by the county planning office and pick up the paperwork for the cabin. The building permit is going to run from $90 to $280, depending on whether several inspections are included in the $90 fee or whether they're separate. There's no explanation of how it works. I'll have to ask them to clarify later. They gave me a folder of papers showing all kinds of things I need to do and the various rules. My general plan was to do the foundation, walls and roof then work on electrical, wiring, flooring and all those other things later as I was able to afford them. I figured it would take several years at least.

The building permit is for one year. If construction is not finished in that time, a one-year extension can be filed. That's all. The things they want done are too expensive to do in two years on top of the hospital bills I'm still paying off. Part of my plan was doing it without debt. I would have a place to live without having to pay rent, and it would be paid for. Now I'm wondering what to do.

Something I was going to do to save money was mill part of the lumber myself. There are four beams I could do. I was also going to do the siding. Something I wasn't a big fan of was making the flooring. I'd considered it, but it's time-consuming. It takes a long time to cut all that lumber, and for floors it would need to dry 45 to 60 days. I may have to do it anyway. To save time on building, I could do all that before filing the permit. I could also cut some joists for the substructure that goes between the foundation and the flooring. The same size joists go into the ceiling, too, to support the roof. With the disc problem in my back, I'm not sure how I would handle and move all those boards. A big part of the plan was using lifting tools in one location. The trees this stuff would be cut from would be scattered over a wide area.

Making all those things would save money, but it wouldn't be enough to pay for all the things the county wants, although I really need to find out what the absolute minimum is that they would let me do. There might be things I can get away with not doing.

I'm rethinking it a bit and trying to figure out whether it's something I can do while meeting government restrictions.

Have a great weekend.


No comments:

Post a Comment