The Messengers of Yesh Web Address

Friday, January 6, 2017

Old Farmer Time?

The area where I live is bracing for a winter storm and sustained, sub-freezing temperatures. It snowed and sleeted for a while with some big, half dollar and silver-dollar-sized flakes. It's all melted now. The main precipitation is supposed to move in within the hour and continue during the night. That reminds me of the drought we had during the fall. I kept meaning to blog about it. It wouldn't fit anywhere with all the other things going on like that election. I try not to make long posts very often. It would've been too much.

Anyway, it was a very severe drought, the highest level the weather folks have on their drought scale. It was weird, though. The area where I live got rain after the drought started. I'd go about ten minutes down the road after it rained, and ponds would be drying up. Grass would be dead. There was talk of water rationing. They had no rain. I live less than a mile from this field with thick, green grass that never did go brown. Eventually, the drought got worse. We went for 50 days with no rain. That field stayed green even then, because of the river next to it, I guess, and groundwater. It's a low-lying field..

I live on a dirt road. The dust was unreal. It coated everything next to the road to the point where it was hard to tell when dust was hanging in the air from traffic and when it wasn't. There wasn't enough contrast between the sides of the road and the road itself. When there was traffic, the dust would hang in the air forever, because the air was so still. There wasn't enough wind to blow it away. It would billow up and drift very slowly. In the end we ended up the year with two feet less rain than normal. That's .6096 meters. ;) That's a lot of rain.

Today's kind of a slow, lazy day. This feels like a slow, lazy blog. The Grapes of Wrath. Reading back over it makes me feel like it would fit in during the 1800s or something like I'm an old farmer sitting on the back porch talking about the weather. Maybe it's Mark Twain day. All right. I'll let you go

Assuming the power doesn't go out, this weekend is Book2 time where I start the process of going through it looking for any mistakes and last-minute fixes. We're still on track for a January release.

No comments:

Post a Comment