The Messengers of Yesh Web Address

Friday, May 6, 2016

Oh, A Timeline

I lost a lot of time this week trying to fix a water leak. I didn't have fun with that. It doesn't seem to be what one would think of as a leak. It's more like condensation building up on this one pipe followed by dripping. I put this thing on part of it. I'm not sure it's completely fixed. I have a few of these. What I had to do was take out part of a ceiling, wrap what I could reach of the pipe and put the sheetrock panel up. I'm still not quite finished with sealing the edges or painting. I may have to take more of the ceiling out to reach the rest of the pipe. This is in the same basement that I had to take that wall down in. Apparently, I'm going to have to do that to another wall in a different room to make sure the wall is sealed. :( But not today.

I skipped the YA book in favor of working on the next B'vellah War book. It's been a hard road on that one, but I think I have a breakthrough.

Starting shortly after June 21st, I want to begin a 16 to 20-week science fiction series on YouTube. My That Don't Work channel is supposed to be about finding a bad moment in an otherwise good book and showing writers how to avoid that mistake themselves. The SF series would follow the 3-act formula but be more of a hands-on teaching demonstration. The general idea is that there would be parallel sets of videos. One would be the show. The other would be for writers and go into detail explaining what exactly is going on under the hood in the show. It would go step by step through the 3-act formula, although I may not follow it religiously.

The show is about a surveyor on a colony ship that finds itself in another galaxy and, the crew suspects, another universe. The colony ship's faster-than-light(FTL) drive would have been broken during the voyage and require repairs. The surveyor would be one of a dozen sent out to look for the resources necessary to repair the ship. The story would unfold from that point.

I've been thinking about the concept and writing down a few notes for June. It's more like television than a book. So, I've had to think about the story in different ways than I would a book. I'm not to the point of having an outline, but in preparation for that I decided to make a partial timeline yesterday while I was out and had a few minutes. Aha! That's what I need for the next B'vellah War book. I already have an outline, but I've still been struggling with it even aside from all the stuff that keeps happening like the wall and the ceiling, etc. I think I need to focus on the subplots to really flesh out the story and make it all work.

A timeline is a visual tool to give me a different overlook of the story than I have with just an outline. There's a 3+ year gap between books one and two. A risky move, but the Calliope novella will cover some of the gap, if I can ever get to it. :) Joe and Ceinwen have three kids. Etan and Kayley have two. Toddlers. They don't do much, mostly toddle. Sydeke has adult children who need to be doing things. Marion and Genia have a child. Princes Drem and Kane are in the story. Lots of characters. Lots of kids. What's High Priest Artis doing? Messenger Harvey has to be in there. Quincy, who got cut from book 1, might be in there. What I need is a timeline for my outline.

I think it's going to start going a lot faster if things like the leak would stop hindering the process.

No comments:

Post a Comment