The Messengers of Yesh Web Address

Friday, March 4, 2016

Life, YouTube and Writing

Ever get the feeling no one really cares about you except yourself? (And the Lord, of course.) I usually get that feeling at least once a day, especially online. I don't have tons of Facebook friends, but the ones I do have generally never Like my posts no matter how funny they might be. I'm sure they never see them, which is why. If they don't care about anything I post, why are those people on my friends list? I've deleted some of them in the past. At least one ran away in a tizzy after I dropped a truth bomb. Maybe I should delete more.
Real life isn't much better. Do you ever find people treating you like crap just because they can? If only we could delete rude cashiers. Wouldn't that be cool if you could go to the store and never have to see the mean cashiers more than once? Walmart Preferences App. It would steer you away from the bad checkout aisles. The only cashiers you would ever have to see would be the friendly ones that say hi when you show up and tell you to have a nice day when you leave.

Anyway.

I'm still working on the "studio" for the YouTube show. The room it will be in is in the basement, which has humidity problems. The reason it's taking so long is I'm having to take the walls apart to seal up any concrete that isn't sealed. I told you last week it was depressing. It's taking forever. It's not just that. I'm having to clean anything musty. Life hack: If you put books in a plastic bag and put them in the freezer for 24 hours, it kills the mustiness or mold or whatever. I'd read that but never tried it. It actually works. It's kind of like magic. I'm going to try it with a cap once I'm done with the books and see if it works for cloth.

B'vellah War book 2. What a struggle. I'm trying to get to the point where I can go pro. The indie author thing sucks. I need a publisher. To have that, I need to follow current publishing conventions. That generally means following the 3-act formula that Hollywood movies use. The YA book that's resting right now has it. The Rise of Aethan Lightbringer mostly follows it. I used plot points in that, even though it had two story lines, which made things weird.

The problem with the 3-act formula is that it stifles my creativity. One section of the YA book was very hard because I was trying to do what publishers want to see. I may give up on a pure 3-act structure and modify it for my style. Could I get away with that? I think so. Branden Sanderson, whose books I haven't actually read, doesn't use 3-act at all and outsells most of the people who do. Hollywood flops use the 3-act formula, so it's not a magic bullet. I could go further, but it would get kind of geeky real fast. That might be a topic for the YouTube channel or its own topic a different day.

I think I've mentioned in a previous blog that I wanted to do a YouTube channel in French. All the work for the writing channel will give me a place to do that, too. Speaking of YouTube, there actually is a way to make money just from that, but I'd need 5,000 subscribers. Sponsorship. I could make a few hundred dollars a month doing those on the side. We'll see.

That's all I have time for today. I had more, but the clock's telling me no.

No comments:

Post a Comment