The Messengers of Yesh Web Address

Friday, February 5, 2016

Live Long and Prosper

There was an article about a new, possible longevity treatment. It extends the lives of mice up to 25 to 35 percent and lets them live healthier lives. Technical details are in the article. The lifespan in a human would be 115 to 120, if it works in people, too.
It wasn't that long ago that another anti-aging treatment made the news. That one could help people live to 120, and since it's an already known drug, it would be cheap to buy, less than 10 cents a pill.
If these treatments actually work, I wonder if they would enhance each other and increase lifespan beyond 120. That would be pretty interesting.

If you paid really close attention in the beginning of the Messengers series, it was mentioned that Aubrey the Messenger died about 100 years before book 1. The Marhelan War was 100 years before that. She would have been about 20 when she went to Yesh. Therefore, she died around 120 years old after a disease-free life. Honestly, it should have been longer, but for story reasons I had to limit it. My original plan was for them to live over 900 years. It just didn't work storywise.

I was thinking about these longevity treatments. The first people to get them would be the rich and powerful. Before genetic therapy was legal in the U.S., I saw an interview with a politician, I think it was Geraldine Ferraro, in which she casually mentioned that genetic therapy had cured her cancer. She didn't say where she got it. I was surprised at the time because that was illegal. Apparently, she had access to health care the average person didn't. But anyway. What if corrupt, evil politicians suddenly started living to 120? It's almost impossible to vote them out of office now. The re-election rate in congress is about 98% last time I heard a statistic on it. Would God have to intervene to remove those people? Would we see them dropping dead for no apparent reason? Would they start having freak accidents? How would that work spiritually? I'm not talking about good people. I mean the evil ones. Would God's hand become noticeable? It's something to think about.

For the record, I'm all for longevity treatments. I think the Tribulation is too close for me to see much benefit, but I'm all for it. Because of what God told Adam in Genesis, the human lifespan is limited to just under 1,000 years. I think God would let us do a lot in this area, since it wouldn't grant immortality. Spiritually, I don't have a problem with people living hundreds of years. I just wonder about the evil ones and what they would do with their long lives. What if the next Hitler had a 120 year lifespan?

No comments:

Post a Comment