The Messengers of Yesh Web Address

Friday, January 1, 2016

Glasses for the Colorblind

In the beginning of the Messengers series, the characters see into the spirit realm for the first time, including seeing new colors. The experience is jarring and emotional, etc. This week I saw this news story on Yahoo.com. It's about these new glasses that let colorblind people see colors normally. A company called Enchroma makes them. They don't work for all colorblind people, and according to one YouTube video I saw, they don't work for two specific shades of color, although no one else mentions that. It doesn't seem to matter.

The glasses are amazing. I've watched a number of videos of people trying them out for the first time. They're kind of addictive. :) Two common questions/comments seem to come up: "That's purple?!!" and "You see these colors all the time?" Apparently, purple is the one color colorblind people can't see at all except as a blue. It's very powerful when they do, because it's the first time they've ever seen it. Imagine seeing a color for the first time.

Here's a small list of a few of the more outwardly emotional videos. I've tried to filter out ones with profanity, although that's pretty hard these days.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hCiP5bo4j4E
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jVsMTLbEq8o
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9UhBDpdaPFM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dE5DahawB2A
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9hU4wOqW3YY

When I was little, colorblindness was incurable. Technically, the glasses aren't a cure. They're more of a prosthesis. I find it moving to watch people seeing colors for the first time or full color in a normal way. "Is that red?" "Is that yellow?" They try to describe what they're seeing. There's a sense of wonder in some of them. Overall, I find these videos to be powerful and worth watching. You can't help but be happy for them. They're kind of like the ones of people hearing for the first time.

A couple of cochlear implant videos:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0B8Zj62LoUg
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UyECCMdlVFo

The Enchroma glasses are supposed to be helpful for people without colorblindness and people with some type of marginal colorblindness who might not be aware of it. Alas, they're very expensive, but the price has been slowly coming down. I'm not colorblind, but I'd love to try them and see if there are any fringe shades I'm not seeing properly.

I've seen science stories from time to time that talk about giving humans the ability to see into the infrared or ultraviolet. After seeing Enchroma videos, the possibilities sound a lot more exciting, especially ultraviolet. I've already seen in infrared under the right conditions. There were no light sources at all, NONE, and the walls and ceiling were warm. It was basically a red and not a very exciting one. I think ultraviolet would be actually seeing new colors.

I've read a lot about near death experiences. The people who go to heaven sometimes talk about colors we don't have on earth but can't truly describe them. I say heaven, but they never cross the barrier of no return, usually a river, and fully go there. The experiences with the Enchroma glasses remind me of the near death experiences. I think the videos are valuable for that, too. The Tribulation is very close. Knowing a little of what to expect about the transition to heaven is helpful. It will still be a new experience but not one that's completely outside of imagination. I could picture myself seeing new colors and remembering watching videos back on earth to help myself adjust, although I wouldn't "need" the help at that point.

No comments:

Post a Comment