The Messengers of Yesh Web Address

Friday, August 21, 2015

PC Update 2

When last we left me, my computer was in a coma. The lights would come on, but it wouldn't boot. The problem looked like the motherboard...

The thermal paste arrived yesterday. The new CPU arrived today. It took a while, but I finally got the thermal grease applied per manufacturer's oddball instructions, the heatsink turned the right way*coughcough* and everything put back together. I prayed for it and hit the power button. The lights come on, but nothing happens.

Last week I said, "although the motherboard could be damaged in some way, but I don't think it is." Apparently, I was wrong. Well, theoretically, there could be something weird going on with the power supply? But I don't think there is. ;) I looked at new power supplies just in case. I didn't see one that fit my HP Compaq 8200 small form factor case.

What now? I can try a new motherboard. Option one: get a manufacturer replacement for this HP Compaq one. I wonder how much that would cost. Option 2: get a new one altogether that's compatible with the memory and peripherals I have plugged in. I'm leaning toward option 2. I've wanted a new power supply anyway. But I'd probably have to buy a new case if I can't find an old one stored away. Have I ever mentioned I'm not made of money? Sure, I have. I've also mentioned how tough the last few years have been. This is what I'm talking about except it isn't as bad as some things.

This problem only cropped up as I shoved some things out of my life to make more time for writing. Coincidence? Could there be a supernatural force trying to hinder me?

The good news is I've been getting a lot of writing done on the old emergency computer I've been using.


No comments:

Post a Comment