The Messengers of Yesh Web Address

Friday, May 15, 2015

Marry me, Scully!

I watched the X-Files when it was on TV. I never finished the series and never saw the movie. At some point I just drifted away and quit watching. However, there was an episode that had a funny moment in which Agent Scully demonstrates more than a layman's knowledge of the paranormal things that Agent Mulder is into but she isn't. It runs from about 44 seconds to 64 seconds. I set it to start on time. It had no consequences in the show and was a throwaway scene simply for laughs. If you watch the clip, the line to remember is "Scully,...marry me!"

Fast forward to this week. For a while I've been checking out language learning videos and French TV shows on YouTube. The language learning ones have tips, tricks and advice to make learning a foreign language faster and more enjoyable than mindless memorization. Over time I've seen a lot of things from various people. One of those people is a French woman who has some instructional videos but also other non-French stuff. Last week YouTube recommended one of the non-French ones. The title was kind of interesting, but it wasn't about French. I ignored it. They stopped recommending it.

This week they recommended one of her language videos I haven't seen. It was short. I watched it. After that they recommended the video I'd ignored the other day. I still thought the title was kind of interesting, and it wasn't too long. So, I clicked it. The first three or four minutes were okay but not exactly riveting. She was sort of losing me. I could see her point but couldn't really get on board with what she was saying. I listened to it on the side while I did something else on the computer and ended up hitting pause to go do some laundry instead.

I came back and hit play. English isn't her native language, although she's pretty fluent. I'm not sure what happened, but somewhere along the way she became eloquent, passionate and articulate. I became completely caught up. It was very, very weird. It was like she was suddenly speaking my love language, and there was this marvelous beauty about her. The video ended, and I sat there in shock not knowing what to think wondering what just happened and trying to make sense of such a strange experience. I don't know how to explain it. I went from feeling like not finishing the video to knowing with the deepest certainty within my soul I could spend my life with this woman and be happy. No doubts. I just knew. It flooded my soul. It was exhilarating, even euphoric. Epiphany. Whiplash.

I was sitting there trying to organize my thoughts when the thought popped into my head, "Marry me, Scully!" It was so funny. I didn't remember the line correctly, but I thought of that scene, a life imitates art kind of moment. It was definitely the high point of the week. It still makes me smile. C'est la vie.

That was the good news. The bad news is that my TV died first thing this week. There was a storm that seemed no worse than the others we have here, but after it was over the TV was completely dead with nary a sign of life a'tall. I had it on a surge protector, and it still died. Remember last week when I wasn't sure whether to send that cell phone I bought back or try to hang onto it until I could move? I sent it back! Ugh. I don't watch a lot of TV, but I guess I need a new one. And I still need a new cell phone.

I kind of don't miss the TV, but I can't watch French or Hebrew DVDs without it. And no, I still don't have a multi-region DVD player or any region 2 DVDs. Losing the TV isn't the end of the world. It's just a hindrance on top of all the other ones. I wish things would go my way more.

I could always use prayer. I'm praying about that French woman. The whole thing makes me scratch my head. It would seem like an impossible thing, but I can't say impossible. Extremely unlikely? I don't know what to think of it. The experience was more emotional than I've let on. The impossibility of it makes me think of God. Hmm, is God telling me something? Or should I just laugh it off? It was too odd to ignore, but I don't know.

No comments:

Post a Comment