The Messengers of Yesh Web Address

Friday, May 5, 2023

The New Install

As mentioned last week, I was able to get Windows installed on a new hard drive. It didn't happen over the weekend, but I made time for it. I thought it would be easier. Huh, I had problems. I needed to get into my motherboard BIOS. It would not show on my monitor, which is a power saving model. I thought maybe it wasn't powering up fast enough to show the brief BIOS screen. I thought maybe it was USB keyboard, and the BIOS wanted a PS2 adapter. I swapped in an old keyboard. I swapped in an old monitor. Etc. It was a hassle. It turned out to be the graphics tablet I have connected. The bootup screen was going to that instead of my monitor. When I turned it on, I was easily able to get into the BIOS. Which was of limited help. I needed to set up a dual boot system so I could boot the old hard drive and the new. It makes copying settings files and such easy. It doesn't really work. When I booted to the old drive, the new installation got hosed. I had to reinstall. The new Windows won't let me interact with the old Windows drive. The old Windows won't let me interact with the new drive. I'm looking at Microsoft with a displeased eye. It's causing me serious problems. Such as email.

So, I forced the old Windows to interact with one of the new drives. I have 2, one for Windows and one for programs. I'm wondering if that's what broke the new Windows. I'm going to try it again later with the old Windows and hope for the best but not touch the new one. I have an external drive that both Windowses can see with no problems at all. I'll have to use that for file swapping as best I can.

The good news is that the Windows key I bought in Europe works. I got it at MrKeyShop after seeing it recommended by Digital Trends. $44.04 instead of $129.

I still don't have all my software installed. I have browsers and simple email. Another good news is that I made a sync password for the browser I use for this blog. Otherwise...

I'm still downloading Unreal Engine that I want to use for doing book covers. It's a 100GB download. It's going to be a process getting back up and running, especially with the hard drive problems. I was hoping to have some pictures to show this week. Maybe next week.

Have a great weekend.

No comments:

Post a Comment