The Messengers of Yesh Web Address

Friday, May 5, 2017

A Touch of Malware

I lost nearly three nights of work on the KJV update project after downloading some malware. I needed another Greek lexicon and found a trusted site to get it. It turned out not to be so trustworthy. When using Chrome, web pages started opening in another tab. I could click a place in a page or in a search box, and it would happen. Reimageplus is usually where it would take me. It's a known malware and not too difficult to get rid of normally. I did all the normal things, including a 3+hr full scan, but it didn't go away. It's supposed to show up under Programs in Control Panel. Not in mine. After the first good scan, my system showed clean. But I still had the problem. Normally, Firefox and Edge would be affected. Not for me, just Chrome. One of the first things I did was delete and re-download extensions. They seemed clean. I even uninstalled Chrome and deleted some of the things it left behind before reinstalling.

By the end of night two everything was working. Night three it was back. But scanning showed my system to be clean. I finally decided to delete extensions again but this time one by one, even though I had already deleted them all more than once. I picked one at random and deleted it. Problem solved. The scary thing is it had still been infected after I had synced the browser with Google. I had not reinstalled that extension. I had let it sync. So, hmm.

Anyway, the backdrop is nearly finished. It looks kind of like this. Sorry about the fuzziness of the cell phone pic. I don't have a non-video camera. It'll look better in the videos.

The big gap in the middle is where the chair I would be sitting in goes. All I need is to have the space around the chair filled in. I still need to finish titles and paint in the books on the sides and possibly do some more detail work on shadows and highlights that would add more dimensionality. I may not bother. This is going to be in the background and out of focus. As long as I get the details right, it should look okay. I can always tweak it later.

The malware was kind of encouraging. I've never had any. It was directly because of the KJV update work. It makes me think I'm on the right track with that. Most of Matthew is done as well as the entire book of Jude, the whole thing.

Have a good weekend.

No comments:

Post a Comment