The Messengers of Yesh Web Address

Friday, June 10, 2016

Another Funeral Tomorrow

By last Saturday evening no one had called me to tell me about my  first cousin's funeral arrangements. I started wondering if I'd missed it and searched online to find out it was Sunday. Remember how in some posts I mention it feels like no one really cares? This was one of those times. I was able to go anyway.

Something good happened on the trip. I was at a convenience store and found something I thought was no longer made, a Skor bar. I haven't seen one of those in years. I bought one. It had too many calories and salt to eat at once, so I enjoyed it over a few days.

After the funeral I went to the street my grandmother used to live on. She died in 1982. I think that was the last time I went to her house. It's long gone. The street's almost completely different. It's paved now.
I went past the house one of my uncles used to live in, which was across the street from where the first cousin we buried lived in the early 80s. Where the cousin lived is long gone. I wouldn't have recognized the uncle's house. The yard looked so much smaller than it did when I was little. It was so big back then.
They all lived in a small town. Some of it's the same. Some has changed with the times. I could feel the weight of years.

There's good news about the first cousin on my mom's side of the family. The cancer is treatable but not curable, since it's in her bones. It can be beaten down with chemotherapy and will require maintenance treatments periodically, I think every two years.

I was telling someone this week that after the funeral trip my long drives are over for the month. I was wrong. One of my uncles on my mom's side passed away yesterday. His funeral is tomorrow. It's an even longer drive than the one last Sunday. I hadn't even washed the clothes from the last funeral, when I found out he wasn't expected to live out the week. I was able to get them cleaned before he left us.

I did some more work on the "studio". It wasn't much, just more cleaning in that room, which is pretty clean by now but has a few things left to do.
I didn't get a lot done on the book this week.

No comments:

Post a Comment