The Messengers of Yesh Web Address

Friday, February 22, 2019

Stuck in the Slow Lane Part 2

My internet speed is capped at 1.5Mbps. Not 15, 1.5(one point five). My ISP promised me many times that my switch was on the list to be upgraded before they finally admitted that it wasn't on the list. Every once in a while, I'll blog bemoaning my internet speed woes and how the real solution is either wireless or moving somewhere else. Customers close to me have 100Mbps speeds while I suffer.

I've never publicly outed my ISP. I've never ranted and called them names. However, something has changed for the better. It's time to name my ISP for all the world to see. It's Windstream. Windstream is the company who received a $175 million grant to upgrade my switch and didn't do it. Windstream is the company who was petitioning the state of Georgia for another grant to upgrade my switch and never has. Hang on. The good news is coming.

Windstream is greedy. I don't consider them to be evil the way Comcast is, if you know anything about that company. I just know they care more about money than their customers. That's okay now. I ran across an amazing news story this week.

Winstream promised to upgrade my switch for years, lying to me and not keeping their word. It turns out that's a pattern with them. Here's the article:

Death For Windstream And Pain For Uniti

Oh, dear. Windstream made a legal promise in writing not to do something and then did it anyway. They got sued and lost. Now, they're dead. Maybe the new owners will fulfill Windstream's federal grant obligations and actually do some upgrades instead of pocketing the money.

Let's not count our chickens, though. Windstream lost the court case, but they do get an appeal. It's theoretically possible they could wiggle out of this. If not, they will possibly owe $5.83 Billion that will have to be paid immediately. That will be the end of Windstream and a new dawn for suffering customers.

Will the new owners upgrade my switch? I have no idea. I won't be living here by then.


Original Post: Stuck in the Slow Lane.


No comments:

Post a Comment